New accessories to facilitate your heating season
October 21st 2011
We are presenting here two new accessories, we believe, will facilitate your heating season. These accessories are available at local retailer.
The Splitz-it 5-Ton electric log splitter: a tool to make drying and ignition of your wood easier
Firewood dries more quickly when it is split. Large unsplit rounds can take years to dry enough to burn. Moreover, even when dried, unsplit logs are difficult to ignite because they don't have the sharp edges where the flames first catch. This is why, logs as small as 3" (75 mm) should be split to encourage drying.
Since having a range of sizes makes starting and rekindling fires much easier, wood should be split to a range of sizes, from about 3" to 6" (75 mm to 150 mm) in cross section. Often, the firewood purchased from commercial suppliers is not split finely enough for convenient stoking. It is thus sometimes advisable to resplit the wood before stacking to dry.
To check out our new log splitter, click here.
Get optimum combustion using the digital moisture reader
In order to have optimal combustion it is important to use dry wood. You could find out if your firewood is dry enough to burn by using these guidelines:
- cracks form at the ends of logs as they dry,
- as it dries in the sun, the wood turns from white or cream coloured to grey or yellow,
- bang two pieces of wood together; seasoned wood sounds hollow and wet wood sounds dull,
- dry wood is much lighter in weight wet wood,
- split a piece, and if the fresh face feels warm and dry it is dry enough to burn; if it feels damp, it is too wet,
- burn a piece; wet wood hisses and sizzles in the fire and dry wood does not.
However, you can also purchase a moisture reader for wood. This device will allow you to accurately measure the moisture level in your cordwood in a simple fast and convenient way.
To see our new digital moisture reader, click here